Friday Feast #38: CSS, Standards, and Taking a Break in Switzerland
There’s plenty around the Web right now related to standards and CSS, along with some amazingly gorgeous scenery of Swtizerland. Here are just a few of the recent highlights.
- Using Background-Image to Replace Text is a tutorial by stopdesign’s Douglas Bowman that provides step-by-step instructions and the CSS to provide a friendlier approach to using images for text titles and drop-caps. Note their March 13, 2003 footnote about JAWS, the March 14th weblog follow-up, and Jeffrey Zeldman’s CSS background problems and Pictures for some, text for others.
- The css-discuss Wiki is a companion to the popular and helpful css-discuss mailing list. The Wiki covers writing, learning, testing, bugs, opinions, more.
- [X]HTML and CSS category at Simon Willison’s weblog has plentiful links and tips on CSS.
- A Conversation With Steve Champeon is a terrific interview with Steve Champeon by Brian Alvey at Meet the Makers. Steve talks about his Webdesign-L discussion list, his background, his lead role with WaSP, his “progressive enhancement” approach to web design and development, and much more.
- Inclusive Web Design For the Future with Progressive Enhancement, a presentation given by Steve Champeon and Nick Finck recently at SXSW.
- Structure with Style, An Introduction to Inclusive Web Design for the Future, is Nick’s February presentation to the STC, and is another must read.
Taking a Break in Switzerland
Marc Howells actually gets to live and work where I’ve only had the privilege to vacation in past years. Among other things Mark designs and develops websites, provides helpful HTML and CSS info, runs around in his new Mini Cooper, and he also takes eye-stopping, poster-worthy photos of some of his adventures.
I spend quite a bit of time meandering through Switzerland and elsewhere in Europe via Mark’s photos of this beautiful part of the world. It’s a terrific way to relax, take a stress break, and take in some gorgeous scenery. You can even purchase some of his prints of Europe, Mini Coopers, and more.