Thu

JUL

Offline, Redesign

Brainstorms and Raves was offline temporarily due to a mix-up in the domain registration renewal. Ugh.

[Designing with Web Standards, by Jeffrey Zeldman]In the meantime, a redesign of the site is going on behind the scenes taking advantage of many of the approaches that you’ll also find in Jeffrey Zeldman’s Designing with Web Standards. The redesign includes a 2-column horizontally centered CSS-formatted design. I’m also using scripts discussed in the book, such as Paul Snowden’s Styleswitcher JavaScript to change font sizes and a DOM-based script from chapter 15 that provides a show/hide capability for my daily reads list in the right side column. [Note added July 26: Be sure to check the Comments for follow-up on the styleswitcher script.]

By the time I finish the site redesign the pages will validate via W3C’s validator and will be cross-browser, cross-platform compatible. Designing with Web Standards provides so many tips about using CSS and browser diversity that it makes site creation much easier. This new book, though, doesn’t exclusively use all-CSS layouts, although there is plenty about how to use CSS effectively. You’ll find transitional approaches that use tables for some situations, too.

One of the most compelling reasons to buy and use the approaches explained in Designing with Web Standards is that you can use everything in real-world, everyday websites for clients and for yourself while providing visually appealing, flexible sites. The book is also extremely well-written and makes learning a pleasure by being fun and interesting while being a goldmine of helpful information whether you’re new to web design or a seasoned professional.

02:18 pm, pdt24 July, 2003 Comments, Trackbacks (8) ·';}?>

Categories: Accessibility, Books, CSS, Colophon, Design, Usability, Web Biz, Weblogs

Comments

1. Sigh... I wanted to put a comment here, but it appears that it’s not possible to enter one that properly quotes you, has paragraph breaks, and/or correctly displays URLs. So, it’s over on my blog.

02:42 pm, pdt25 July, 2003Comment by Dori Smith

comment #1 permalink ·'; else echo '·'; ?>

2. Hi, Dori,
    Ah! I didn’t know that the ALA styleswitcher script is a problem for Safari! Thanks for letting me know. And I’ll take you up on your offer to use yours instead. Thank you, Dori!

For anyone reading this post and comments, check out Dori’s post about Safari and the ALA styleswitcher.

And Dori, I see what you mean about not being able to add any HTML. Hmmm... well, I’ll see about changing that part. Sorry about that!

05:51 pm, pdt25 July, 2003Comment by Shirley Kaiser

comment #2 permalink ·'; else echo '·'; ?>

3. While I personally have yet to pick up a copy of that book, I’ve heard many positive reviews of it, so it sounds like a good buy. I’m certainly convinced that standards are the way forward and I’m glad to see someone else adopting them :).

01:25 am, pdt26 July, 2003Comment by Neil Turner

comment #3 permalink ·'; else echo '·'; ?>

4. It does look a good book, and I know that a recommendation from you doesn’t come lightly. I hope that you will be able to sort out the registration problems and I so look forward to the re-design.

06:43 am, pdt27 July, 2003Comment by Sian

comment #4 permalink ·'; else echo '·'; ?>

5. WOW. Cool Redesign Shirley! Love it. Well Done. I have been using MT for a while now, so if you have any trouble, give me a shout.

07:18 am, pdt28 July, 2003Comment by Paul Michael Smith

comment #5 permalink ·'; else echo '·'; ?>

6. Hi, Paul,
    Thanks for the kind words about my redesign. I’m glad you like it.

And I’ll take you up on your offer to help with MT. I’ve been quite impressed with it so far, and I also love the fact that so many people offer plugins and alll kinds of helpful tips. That’s made a huge difference.

09:24 am, pdt28 July, 2003Comment by Shirley Kaiser

comment #6 permalink ·'; else echo '·'; ?>

7. Have you had a chance to take a look at the MT Plugin Directory? they are currently working on an automated system of updating plugins.

04:58 pm, pdt28 July, 2003Comment by Sian

comment #7 permalink ·'; else echo '·'; ?>

8. Ahh, the new design came through today—very nice!

05:23 pm, pdt28 July, 2003Comment by Leto