Thu

AUG

Power Outages Here, Flood Warnings

We’ve got quite a storm passing through California’s central valley right now with an alert just issued for possible localized flooding—Sacramento, Stockton, Modesto areas. Over 20,000 people have no power as a result, lightning has struck in places causing fires, and there have been quite a few car accidents. With the heavy downpours our streams and creeks that meander throughout the areas are filling up, resulting in a flood warning just being issued. In other words, it’s a little crazy in my neck of the woods at the moment.

I’ve lived in the Sacramento area my entire life and we rarely have any rain at all throughout the summer, so this storm is quite a surprise. My lights have flickered here in Carmichael, but I still have power. Nonetheless I’m headed to my cabinet with the “Lights Out” supplies.

[Screenshot image: Sacramento area storm 3pm, August 21, 2003 3:00pm, as followed by the National Weather Service, Sacramento]

Here’s the weather warning info:

Hazardous Weather Outlook

Special Weather Statement

Urban And Small Stream Flood Advisory

SOUTHERN SACRAMENTO VALLEY-

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SACRAMENTO CA

300 PM PDT THU AUG 21 2003

NOW... AT 300 PM...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A THUNDERSTORM WITH HEAVY RAIN IN CENTRAL SACRAMENTO. THE THUNDERSTORM IS MOVING NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH AND IS PRODUCING LIGHTNING AND GUSTY WINDS. CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS AT THE STATE FAIR SHOULD TAKE COVER FOR AT LEAST THE NEXT HOUR THROUGH 4PM. MINOR URBAN FLOODING IS POSSIBLE IN MANY LOCATIONS THIS AFTERNOON. IF YOU ARE OUTDOORS...MOVE TO A PLACE OF SHELTER IMMEDIATELY IF A STORM APPROACHES. MOTORISTS SHOULD REMAIN ALERT FOR REDUCED VISIBILITIES DURING DOWNPOURS OF RAIN. POWELL

Ah yes, and I forgot about all those at the California State Fair right now. That should be interesting...

03:10 pm, pdt21 August, 2003 Comments, Trackbacks (4) ·';}?>

Categories: Personal

Comments

1. All these power outages. Sudden storms and breakdowns make me nervous. I like things to be nice and constant!

Take care, get to the high ground!

08:39 pm, pdt21 August, 2003Comment by Suzanne

comment #1 permalink ·'; else echo '·'; ?>

2. Thanks, Suzanne. Thunder was so loud it kept many of us awake much of the night, too. It was quite a storm, especially since it so seldom rains here during the summer.

It’s still cloudy and muggy here today and I think the major part of the storm is now in the Sierra Nevada Mountains above us. Hopefully the rain will help curb the fire season threats as long as lightning strikes haven’t caused any forest fires... I haven’t seen the news this afternoon yet to know. But I’m hoping for the best.

02:40 pm, pdt22 August, 2003Comment by Shirley Kaiser

comment #2 permalink ·'; else echo '·'; ?>

3. Take care, hope the situation improves soon.

03:11 am, pdt23 August, 2003Comment by David

comment #3 permalink ·'; else echo '·'; ?>

4. Not quite sure what the fuss is about all this electrical activity abuzz in the air. Yes, there is dubious salubrity in receiving being on the receiving end of such a tremendous discharge of static electricity, but if you really think about it, the rain is going to make everything a whole lot sparklier. Every morning, I turn on the television and watch Matt Lauer (rrrowl!) and the thing is, without a little Sanka in my cup, I have a tendency to be devoid of personal hygeine products. Animal crackers in my soup, lions and tigers loop-the-loop.

08:13 am, pst 4 March, 2004Comment by Skip Oberon