Sun

OCT

Comment Spam Festival, of Sorts

Over the weekend I ran a couple of searches on words and links used in attempted comment spam at my site to see what other sites they had been been spamming. In the process I came across a page at the McGregor Museum’s website that is quite a repository for comment spammers.

Check out the McGregor Museum’s Guestbook. Much of the deposited spam will look quite familiar to many of us who’ve been dealing with comment spam. I also picked up a few umm... interesting(!) words and websites to add to my spam filters.

As I mentioned here recently in my post, Friday Feast #61: Unwanted Comments, deleting comment spam as soon as possible can make a huge difference in attracting even more. The McGregor Museum Guestbook is an unfortunate example of comment spammers carrying on quite a comment spam festival there at the moment.

09:09 pm, pdt12 October, 2003 Comments, Trackbacks (8) ·

Categories: Internet, Weblogs

Comments

1. I saw a MT-blacklist tools over here.

MT-Blacklist: Monday, hell or high water .

11:04 pm, pdt12 October, 2003Comment by owen

2. I now have a working captcha on Movable type - here are the details in case your interested or fancy a play.

07:15 am, pdt13 October, 2003Comment by Chris

3. Comment Spam becomes to a serious problem. A lot of popular blog sites are suffered with them. Brainstorms and Raves also suffered from the spam comments. Fortunately, Bloggers realized this disgusting problem more and more. Some of them are working

14 Oct, 2003Trackback from O.I.R.C

trackback #3 permalink ·

4. I’m looking at this plugin but I’ve only had one spam comment so far.

04:41 am, pdt14 October, 2003Comment by Sian

5. I take it back. I’ve gone through some of my posts and I’ve had more comment spam than I thought. Looks like I’ll have to install the plugin after all.

04:59 am, pdt14 October, 2003Comment by Sian

6. I think this might work for you. I have not yet implemented it, but it seems like a possible solution. Possibly I can send you a full report (as i will be writing one for our site director anyway) in a week or so.

Killing Comment Spam for Dummies

08:47 pm, pst24 December, 2003Comment by davelo

7. Comment Spam becomes to a serious problem. A lot of popular blog sites are suffered with them. Brainstorms and Raves also suffered from the spam comments. Fortunately, Bloggers realized this disgusting problem more and more. Some of them are working...

05 Feb, 2004Trackback from owen's meta

trackback #7 permalink ·

8. I hate spam, but I don’t want to use redirects since I believe posting real comments b/w blogs should increase the search popularity of the blog. I think the best was for me is have a system where I review the comment before it’s posted. are there any tools like that available?

04:31 pm, pst19 March, 2004Comment by daniel kovach

Cover - The Zen of CSS Design, by Dave Shea, Molly E. Holzschlag. Published by Peachpit Press, December 2004.

Cover: Information Architecture, 2nd Edition - by Louis Rosenfeld, Peter Morville. OReilly Media, Inc.; 2nd edition (August 15, 2002).

Page last modified 14 July, 2007 - 10:19pm PDT Page load time: 0.011539 seconds.