Moving MT Installation to New Server
For the past several days, my ISP and I have worked on moving all my domains to one of their new servers. Next on the agenda is moving my Movable Type installation to the new server and getting that all set up. I’m hoping for some tips or assistance, so I’d greatly appreciate comments here, via my contact form, or email me directly (for those who know my email address).
A little info:
- I need to move my MT 2.64 installation from a Windows IIS server to a UNIX server. The new server has MySQL, PHP, and more. My ISP installed MT 2.64 for me two years ago on the Windows IIS server. He did fine then, but he and I would both appreciate any helpful tips and resources about the move.
- My current installation uses the default Berkeley DB. I’d like to switch to MySQL, but not necessarily at the same time as the move.
- Unless someone recommends otherwise, I intend to install my existing version 2.64 and get that set up BEFORE upgrading to version 3.x or upgrading to a MySQL database. If that’s a tougher way to go, though, please let me know ASAP. Thanks!
- PHP isn’t used at all with my current installation. I do plan to use PHP with the new server, but not necessarily as part of the move.
- My post URLs aren’t dependent on the post IDs, instead using customized friendly URLs. So the move shouldn’t break all my post URLs, especially as I intend to replicate all the settings I’m currently using with the new server installation.
- Deadline: The move must be completed by or before this Friday, July 29th. So we don’t have much time! That’s another reason why I want to keep the move to the new server as simple as possible.
- I have several blogs with this installation that make up the Brainstorms and Raves website under this domain.
- Eventually I’d like the MT installation to be available for all my domains on the same server (skdesigns.com, websitetips.com, and a few others), but for this move and a tight deadline I’m thinking it’s simpler to keep the MT installation in the same spot as my current installation within this brainstormsandraves.com domain. If that’s easy enough to change with the move, let me know that, too.
Below are some resources I’ve found that look quite helpful. I welcome more tips, links to more info, etc. Thanks!
Moving MT Blogs to a New Server or New Web Host
- Moving your MT Blogs to a New Server or Web Host, via elise.com, January 30, 2004.
Upgrading from Berkeley DB to MySQL Database
- Converting your Berkeley DB database to a SQL database via Movable Type
- Converting your Berkeley DB database to a SQL database via VoIP Blog, April 18, 2005
Installing Movable Type to a Server
- Movable Type for Beginners
Via Matt Maxwell Graphic Design, August 21, 2004. Very simple instructions, especially for those new to installing programs to servers. Even I could understand this!
- Simplified Movable Type Installation Instructions
Via Clearpoint Systems. These instructions are for installing MT 3.1, using MySQL for database, cgi-bin for install, Perl 5.8, and an existing MySQL database for your weblog. Includes instructions for MySql Installation and Setup.
- Learning Movable Type - elise.com Tutorials
Lots here, including more on installing and configuring Movable Type
Sticking with Movable Type
For the record, I’m planning to stick with Movable Type for now. I don’t want to switch to a different program right now, especially as I’m moving to a new server with a fairly tight deadline. I need to get this server move taken care as easily and smoothly as possible without making a bunch of changes.
Also for the record, I know Word Press is a great program. I’m interested in trying it, but I don’t have time to figure out all that between now and Friday, especially with all the customizing I’ve done with Movable Type.
Comments, Trackbacks: 4 so far. Add yours!
This discussion has been closed. Thanks to all who participated.