Sun

SEP

2005

Displaced, Injured Animals from Hurricane Katrina

I’ve seen so many scenes of stranded animals from Hurricane Katrina, including dogs holding on to tree limbs for dear life or stranded on rooftops or balconies all alone. There are countless displaced farm animals, wildlife, and beloved pets as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

Many people evacuating their homes aren’t allowed to bring their beloved pets to various shelters (unbelievable!),1  and many pets are separated from their owners for a variety of other reasons, too. In addition, there are farm animals and wildlife displaced and injured that also desperately need our help and donations.

There are several agencies on the scene helping to rescue them, care for them, and help them get reconnected with their owners, such as the Humane Society, United Animal Nations, the ASPCA, and others. Please donate if you can. Any amount can make a big difference, and no amount is too small or too large.

1Addendum Sept. 07, 2005: To clarify, unfortunately separate shelters weren’t available for animals at nearly all the shelters (there were a few exceptions) for Hurricane Katrina survivors, forcing thousands of animals to be on their own to try to fend for themselves in the midst of the hurricane and its aftermath. In many instances, owners refused to leave their animals, risking their own lives as a result. Some may feel it’s nuts to refuse to leave them in order to save themselves. While they’re entitled to their opinions, I remain firm in my belief that while saving human life is critically important, of course, we also need to make provisions to care for and rescue the wildlife, farm animals, and beloved pets when an emergency strikes. It IS possible to rescue and save people while also taking care of all the animals. Owners should NOT be forced into having to make such difficult and costly choices of having to leave them or risk their own lives by not leaving them.

I might write more on that in another post later, but I also don’t want to get too far off-topic for this weblog, either, which is usually on website design issues.

Comments

1. Yeah, let’s spend our hard earned money helping the pets while their owners are rotting in the streets.

I love anima1s as much as the next guy, and I’m all for helping them, but let’s get our priorities straight and focus on the people first, okay?

Nb. Would’ve spelled anima1s correctly, but that got me the error: "Your comment could not be submitted due to questionable content: anima1". May I suggest using a slightly ridiculous content filter?

02:50 pm, pdt 5 September, 2005Comment by Supos

2. My post doesn’t at all state or imply that saving pets is MORE important than saving people.

Besides, my post before this one was about helping people - volunteering or donating.

Many people won’t leave their homes because they refuse to leave their animals and pets, too.

From my perspective, saving and caring for human life matters, but so does saving and caring for wildlife, farm animals, pets, etc. Saving and caring for human life doesn’t at all mean we should let wildlife, farm animals, pets, etc. die. We CAN save and care for them all.

My post here is to help draw attention to the fact that wildlife, animals, and pets need our help and attention, too. I’m not interested in debating the merits of whether or not they should be saved, as I find that ridiculous. You can do that elsewhere if you wish, including your own weblog, but not here at mine.

Regarding my filters, I’ve made an adjustment to help block spammers while allowing legitimate comments. Thanks for letting me know.

03:13 pm, pdt 5 September, 2005Comment by Shirley Kaiser

3. Come on people! I think everyone’s priority HAS been on helping people. It’s high time the animals get rescued as well. Obviously some of you have never experienced the heartbreak of losing a beloved pet.

If you ask me, I think there should be shelters for people who don’t want to be around animals and there SHOULD be shelters made available for people WITH pets.

I have 3 cats and 2 dogs and if I were in a situation like that, I would not want to leave them either. I don’t mean to sound cold or uncaring but I would rather die with my pets than to live with some of the lowlifes that are being housed in those shelters. We’ve all seen the looters and the thieves on TV, it made me realize why I like animals so much more than humans.

If you want to put me down because of that, go ahead. I don’t care.

02:53 pm, pdt 6 September, 2005Comment by Lisa

4. I agree, I am also an animal lover and to say that they do not mean anything is wrong. They also need to be rescued and they also hurt like a human would hurt, they also have blood going through their viens and they have emotions as well. No matter what type of animal it is, from small to large. And if you think about it, they are 100 times better than some humans could ever be. I have done my part in helping out and it was to the Animal Welfare groups.
    I might get some people getting angry at what is said but it is true and could care less what other people think about my comments.

05:52 am, pdt 7 September, 2005Comment by victoria

5. Animals Need help to!!! If I was in the same situation I would hope that if I got seperated from my pets that there would be someone there to help. The love of a pet is unconditional and most would give their lives for thier human counterparts. Times like these we need to pull together and help where ever help is needed.

07:13 am, pdt 7 September, 2005Comment by Judy

6. I can think of several reasons why they won’t let animals into shelters:

* Some people own dangerous animals
    * Not all animals will get along with each other
    * Even if you keep all the animals crated the stench will quickly become unbearable
    * Some people have allergies/asthma that would be aggravated by lots of pets

07:39 am, pdt 7 September, 2005Comment by Jason

7. I can understand how everyone feels about people and animals. I for one wouldn’t go anywhere without my animals. I know it sounds totally crazy and rediculous to some. But if you knew my situation you wouldn’t. I am a disabled American. My disability is increasingly getting worse. My animals truly do give me my strength and happiness to get my mine off my own pain by directing it to their care. I have had some of my animlas for 10 + years... They have never laughed at me because of the way I look. Or acted badly towards me because of my disability. I feel they love me for me. They are my best friends. More so than any human friends I have EVER had. Except for my husband. He feels as I do about animals. They don’t shoot people because they don’t get their way. They have always been completely devoted, always wanting to please. So, yes, I would try to move heaven and earth to save EVERY animal I could becauue to me it is the right thing to do.

09:41 am, pdt 7 September, 2005Comment by Angela

8. The original post did state how incredulous you were that pets were not allowed in shelters ('unbelievable' was the ). As there is insufficient space for humans in the shelters and since humans are still dying in their homes, there is only one conclusion to be drawn: pets (at least some of them) to you are more worthy of shelter than some people.

There are lots of people who believe that their pets (maybe even all animals) are better than *some* people (they get them expensive pet food instead of giving money to famine victims around the world). I don’t see why you’d get so defensive and denying (in your response to the first comment) about this position.

12:43 pm, pdt 7 September, 2005Comment by zoopy

9. Zoopy,

My response above was to help clarify my view, although it’s now increasingly obvious that some people will make all kinds of absolutely ridiculous assumptions anyway.

As I wrote above, I’m not going to debate the merits of saving animals. My post was to help bring to light the fact that the wildlife, farm animals, pets, etc. need our help, too, in addition to people (see my previous post about helping people - Helping Those Impacted by Hurricane Katrina) and how to contribute by volunteering or donating. Period.

I’m now closing comments for this post.

If anyone has any other helpful information about how to help the animals from Hurricane Katrina, feel free to email me and I’ll add the information either to this post or another one. Thanks!

03:24 pm, pdt 7 September, 2005Comment by Shirley Kaiser

Web Style Guide - Basic Design Principles for Creating Web Sites, 2nd Ed., by Patrick J. Lynch, Sarah Horton. Yale University Press, March 2002.

Cover: HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS: Visual QuickStart Guide, Sixth Edition. By Elizabeth Castro. Pub. Peachpit Press August 2006.

Page last modified 14 July, 2007 - 10:19pm PDT Page load time: 0.011726 seconds.