Opinion articles, news, and reflections about the September 11, 2001 attacks to America - related to the 9/11 attacks to the World Trade Center (WTC), the Pentagon, Flight 93, and related terrorist attacks.
While I'm not adding to or further developing this section, if you find any dead or redirected links, please contact me with the relevant information, and I'll update or remove those items. Thank you!
Opinions, Reflections, Thoughts Related to the Sept. 11 Attacks
October 12, 2001
- Welcome Back, Duke—From the ashes of Sept. 11 arise the manly virtues.
Reflecting on the role of men (and women) since the '70s, and the return of 'manly virtues.'
[10/12/01 Peggy Noonan, OpinionJournal, Wall Street Journal, wsj.com]
October 5, 2001
- How To Defeat Terrorism, or Alternatives to War, Continued
[10/05/01 Shirley Kaiser, Brainstorms & Raves]
October 2, 2001
- Speech by Tony Blair, Prime Minister, Labour Party conference, Brighton 2001
Important speech by Prime Minister Tony Blair to the Labour Party conference stating his opinion about the attacks and what must be done to stop the terrorists and keep our world safe.
[10/02/01, Guardian Unlimited]
September 30, 2001
- Crypto-Gram Newsletter (Special Issue)
This special issue newsletter deals with security and the attacks. Interesting info with links to resources, opinions, more.
[09/30/01 Crypto-Gram Newsletter, by Bruce Schneier, Founder and CTO, Counterpane Internet Security]
September 29, 2001
- Alternatives to War, Continued
[09/29/01 Shirley Kaiser, Brainstorms & Raves]
- Alternatives to War?
[09/29/01 Shirley Kaiser, Brainstorms & Raves]
September 26, 2001
- Rebuilding in New York
[10/26/01 Architecture Week]
September 25, 2001
- 'Fear: Who Cares?' For Alan Beavan
Personal story about Alan Beavan, who died on UA Flight 93.
[09/25/01 Michael Edwards, openDemocracy]
September 21, 2001
- Breaking the cycle of violence
[09/21/01 by Scilla Elworthy, openDemocracy]
- Mr. Bush’s Most Important Speech
[09/21/01 Editorial/Op-Ed, New York Times]
- Some Notes on War in a World Without Boundaries
[09/21/01, by Philip E. Agre, Dept. of Information Studies, UCLA]
September 20, 2001
- Weblogs give fast man-in-street reports of disaster
Great article about the impact of weblogs reporting the Sept. 11th attacks. The article also is a terrific interview with George Weld and a quote by Jason Kottke.
[09/20/01 by Doug Bedell, Dallas Morning News. Thanks to Meryl Evans for the link!]
September 18, 2001
- Coping With the Aftereffects: Psychologists' Group Offers Advice on Handling the Trauma of Terror
Good article and includes links to more articles, resources, and phone numbers for all ages.
[09/18/01 Washington Post, Page HE05]
September 17, 2001
- Remains of the Day
Special issue with articles, images and reports on the attacks September 11th.
[09/16/01 New York Times Magazine]
- Boom, Bust and Echo: A Dark Theory Behind Black Tuesday
[09/17/01 Guerilla News Network: CounterIntelligence: Mike Ruppert]
- ZNet’s September 11 Talking Points
[09/17/01 by Michael Albert and Stephen R. Shalom, ZNet]
September 16, 2001
- Proving To the Terrorists That We Will NOT be Terrorized
What we can do, one person at a time, to not allow terrorism to interfere with our lives.
[09/16/2001 by Shirley Kaiser, Brainstorms and Raves]
September 15, 2001
- On the Bombings
[09/01 by Noam Chomsky, ZNet. link via Blogdex]
- Only love and then oblivion. Love was all they had to set against their murderers
Speaking of love, the last words of the victims contacting their loved ones.
[09/15/01, by Ian McEwan, The Guardian]
- War Without Illusions
[09/15/01 New York Times]
September 14, 2001
- Terrorism and Responsibility
A perspective on who we are as Americans and a response to the attack September 11th.
[09/14/01 by Alan Herrell, the head lemur. Thanks to head lemur for the link!]
- Trade Center leaseholder is determined to rebuild
[09/14/01 by Peter Grant, CNBC and the Wall Street Journal]
- Violence and justice in a global age
[09/14/01 by David Held, openDemocracy]
- Web’s counterpoint to offline media
Article about the traditional broadcast and print vs. the personal journalism on the Web, focused on Tuesday’s tragedy.
[09/14/01 ITN. link via Ev at Blogger.com]
September 13, 2001
- Just for being Americans . . .
[09/13/01 Dave Barry, Miami Herald]
- They can’t see why they are hated; Americans cannot ignore what their government does abroad
[09/13/01 Seumas Milne, The Guardian]
- Tragedy brings nation together
Learning about the people who died, who are missing, their families, friends, and colleagues.
[09/13/01 Joan Ryan, San Francisco Chronicle]
September 12, 2001
- Death Downtown
Tells of his experience that day, experiences with lack of good airport security, more opinions. Good reading.
- We’ll go forward from this moment
Very popular article online full of tremendous insight.
[09/12/01 by Leonard Pitts, Jr., The Miami Herald. Thanks to Meryl Evans for the link!]
- Who Said the Web Fell Apart?
[09/12/01, Leander Kahney, Wired News]
Related Opinions Prior to September 11, 2001
- The CounterTerrorist Myth
"A former CIA operative explains why the terrorist Usama bin Ladin has little to fear from American intelligence"
[July/August 2001 issue, by Reuel Marc Gerecht, The Atlantic Online]